August 16, 2017
New private capital organization emerges from angel network with $65M under management
(16 August 2017: Calgary, AB) Valhalla Private Capital – a full service corporate finance firm – officially opened its doors to investors and early stage entrepreneurs on August 15 in Edmonton and August 16 in Calgary.
Valhalla is a local success story with global reach. Founded in 2003 as a single city angel investor group by 2014 Startup Canada Investor of the Year R. Stewart Thompson, building investor and startup ecosystems at home and abroad is hard-coded in Valhalla Private Equity’s DNA. Valhalla brings a team together that expands the VA Angels investor and entrepreneur facing enterprises together under one umbrella. At launch, Valhalla Private Capital has $12.5M CDN under management, but is on track to have that at $65M by November.
“Valhalla Private Capital is the realization of a vision,” said Mr. Thompson, Chairman and CEO of Valhalla Private Capital. “For too long venture capital has been the domain of large institutional investors. I have a much more democratic view. Valhalla is all about inviting all people who care about their local business climate into the VC realm, giving them the tools and opportunities to participate successfully in both investing or building some great companies.”
Valhalla Private Capital will focus on a five-pillar business model:
- – Angel investing – ongoing operation of the 100+ member, five-chapter VA Angels network that has invested $44M plus in more than 150 deals since inception
- – Global entrepreneurship – continued outreach, advocacy, training and investor and startup ecosystem building in emerging economies around the world through its highly successful and well respected international arm, The Seed Global
- – Investor/Entrepreneur Educational Programs – including the renowned BaseCamp offering, an exclusive investment seminar for startups where Mr. Thompson and other experienced investors provide insight from an investor’s perspective about how to understand how capital works.
- – Investment Funds – The Old Kent Road fund and VA Angels Fund are targeting growth of $5M a month and will have $65M under active management by November 2017.
- – M&A and Advisory Services – expanding on the foundations of Vario Ventures, a boutique mergers and acquisition firm focusing on entrepreneurs and specializing in identifying the right next step for small and medium companies and their investors
“We have very deliberately not used “equity” in our name as we believe investors and early stage entrepreneurs alike need tailored solutions and ownership is just one option, “said Valhalla executive Jan Lederman.
“The angel world can sometimes feel like placing large Vegas-style bets” said VA Angels President and Valhalla executive Kristina Milke,” but, at Valhalla, we believe a more sophisticated approach exists through our full suite of capital options coupled with education, training and advisory services.”
Visit www.valhallaprivatecap.com for details.
For more information contact: