What is BaseCamp?
BaseCamp is an exclusive investment seminar for startups. At BaseCamp, Randy Thompson, CEO and founder of VA Angels, will provide insight from an investor’s perspective about how to effectively pitch business ideas to investors. A number of other investors also attend sharing their expertise with the group. This program helps entrepreneurs polish their business ideas and become better prepared to present at an investor Forum or pitch.
It’s more than just pitching your business to investors.
YOU NEED TO KNOW HOW TO:
- raise capital including equity, debt, contest and revenue
- maximize the value of your capital round and minimize risk
- target and secure the right investors
- close a round
- structure a pitch and a deal that is attractive to investors.
*As of Dec 31 2016
We bring entrepreneurs and investors together
BaseCamp made a significant difference in how I communicate about my company to investors. Previous to taking the program, I was stuck in the weeds around what the business value of the technology that I had developed.
Thanks to Randy and the amazing group of companies that were assembled, I was able to hone my message and get clear, critical feedback on what my company’s value is.
— Gena Rotstein, Founder & CEO of Dexterity Ventures Inc. & Place2Give
Over the course of the BaseCamp entrepreneurs will learn how to understand investor needs, to identify key investor pitch criteria, to create an effective deal structure and to differentiate their business from others in the eyes of potential investors. Randy, along with other VA members, lend their advice about financial modeling and deal structuring and how to select teams and growth strategies. Finally, there will be an opportunity to practice pitching by rehearsing a mock presentation.
You will receive valuable insight & feedback from the angel investor perspective!
JOIN RANDY THOMPSON, FOUNDER AND CEO OF VA ANGELS AND ANGEL INVESTOR, PROVIDING STARTUP FOUNDERS WITH VALUABLE INSIGHT AND EXERCISES TO HELP THEM ‘BECOME THE INVESTOR’ AND UNDERSTAND THE PROCESS.
Yes you’ll learn how to create an awesome
Pitch Deck but you’ll also learn:
HOW TO VALUE YOUR COMPANY & STRUCTURE A DEAL FOR ANGELS.
HOW TO GET CASH
Founders will get the exclusive opportunity to:
- Talk directly with investors about what they look for (including local Angel & VC guest speakers)
- Form connections with influencers and active investors in the Alberta investment community (Typically, access to these investors can cost up to $1,000!)
- Learn how to create a product plan, discuss sales & marketing, and determine how to value your company and sell shares – all from real angel investors, not consultants
- Create an Investor Deck and present to angel investors
To conclude the weekend, founders will have the opportunity to pitch to a distinguished panel of investors and community influencers and receive feedback.
BaseCamp was one of the most valuable things I did for my startup. In two days I learnt more than I did in the last two years of my degree. I was able to apply what I learnt immediately and felt more comfortable claiming value on what I had built.
— Mandy Balak, Founder & CEO of It’s Date Night & BRANDED
DAY 1: 9 AM TO 5 PM
*Snacks & lunch provided
- Welcome & Introductions Quick Pitch Introductions – Group
- Should You Really Do This?
- What Do Your Customers Think?
- Building Teams
- The Prototype Stage
- Checking Back With Your Customers
- Building a Business on 3 Lines
- The Business Model
DAY 2: 9 AM TO 5 PM
*Snacks & lunch provided
- Think Like An Investor
- “The Six Points”
- Building a Cap Table and A Share Structure
- Creating an Investor Package
- Valuations and Deal Structures
- Understanding Exits and Investor Math
Day 3: Pub Pitch Night
This is your opportunity to put what you learned into action in front of a room full of investors and get valuable feedback.
BaseCamp was an amazing investment for me to make as I was right in the middle of raising our first seed round. With all the guidance from Randy I can say with confidence he helped me retain more equity in my company while we were raising capital with a deal structure that made everyone happy.
— Derek Rucki, Founder of TLink Golf Inc.
Thank you to Terry Booth for mentoring & speaking at BaseCamps.